In a rare move, the Consumer Product Safety Commission filed an administrative complaint against the maker of Buckyballs, magnetic desktop toys designed for adult use, and demanded a recall of these products citing injuries to children and teens who have accidentally swallowed the tiny magnets. The CPSC also called for sales of the product to stop and persuaded about 10 retailers to stop selling Buckyballs after the manufacturer refused to recall their products.
Buckyballs are marketed as “an addictive way to relieve your stress…a way to combat boredom in the workplace and beyond.” But Buckyballs are very powerful magnets, strong enough to mash up or manipulate into a ball, capable of seriously injuring unsuspecting individuals.
Sadly, children are getting hold of these toys, accidentally ingesting them and winding up in the hospital. Some children require surgery as the high-powered magnets can become embedded or even perforate the intestinal wall, leading to serious injury or death. One girl required emergency surgery and spent six days in the hospital after she pretended to have a tongue piercing with Buckyballs and accidentally swallowed them. A 4-year-old ingested three Buckyballs thinking they were candy decorations from a wedding cake he had seen.
According to the CPSC, the maker of Buckyballs has not taken strong enough action to protect the general public. Despite placing warning labels on their products and its website, more than two dozen injuries, largely to children, have occurred over the past few years. Injuries from the product continue to be reported.
Over 2 million Buckyballs have been sold to U.S. consumers and will continue to be sold until the matter is settled in the court system or an agreement is reached between the CPSC and the product manufacturer.
If you or a loved one has been injured from this unsafe product, call the attorneys at the Law Offices of Henry Hanflik for a free consultation, 810-720-4000 or toll free, 888-905-4632. We can help you now!